Ever since I was a kid, I loved watching my mom in the kitchen preparing delicious and fulfilling meals with ease. My mom is a magician in the kitchen...(Read More)

Email ME!
  • 1. Winter
  • 2. Breakfast
  • 3. Love
  • September 2005
  • October 2005
  • November 2005
  • December 2005
  • January 2006
  • February 2006


  • Nupur's Fork and Spoon
  • VK's Dhaba
  • Chef Paz
  • The Domestic Goddess
  • Lima Beans and Delhi Chaat
  • Almost Gourmet
  • Anthony's Bachelor Cooking
  • Zu's Kitchen
  • Rice and Noodles
  • Mahanandi
  • Tham Jiak
  • Naughty Curry
  • Atabela
  • Tigers & Strawberries
  • Nika's Culinaria
  • Chocolate & Zucchini
  • Coconut & Lime
  • Comfort Food
  • Messy Cucina
  • Cookerific
  • Lulu Loves London
  • Lera's Myriad Tastes
  • Zen Foodism
  • Priya's Kitchen
  • Always in the Kitchen
  • Sailu's Food





  • Global Voices Online, Jan 7, '06 - "Cooking up the World!"


    Female/26-30. Lives in Canada/Ontario/Toronto, speaks English. My interests are cooking, art, design,/writing, reading, .
    This is my blogchalk:
    Canada, Ontario, Toronto, English, Female, 26-30, cooking, art, design,, writing, reading, .


     Blog Top Sites
    Food & Drink Blogs by Indian Bloggers
    Top100Bloggers.com
    RSS Feed


  • Thursday, January 26, 2006


    Never an Early Riser..."From my Rasoi"

    I have never been a "morning" person. There's just something about waking up at the break of day that doesn't quite work with my idea of starting a day well. Infact, come to think of it, I can't even remember the last time I woke up hale and hearty to start the day early. So I guess its evident to say to that I do not entertain breakfasts either! Breakfast for me, found most often mean a mug of coffee and that's about it. When we were kids, mom always made Sunday mornings special. I remember waking up on those days, not to the sound of the shirll alarm by my bedside, but instead, with the aroma of something delicious cooking up on the stove. After we got married, I have many a times wanted to continue with that tradition. But alas, with my inability to rise early, we are left with no option but toast and coffee to greet us. While I love to sleep in on weekends, hubby dear enjoys meddling in the kitchen, surprising me with a breakfast tray loaded witha cup of steaming hot coffee and a plateful of some good grub. Out of the few wonderful, thoughful and romantic breakfasts hubby dear makes for me, there is ONE that I often request repeats for! That my dears, is his famous Sabudana/Sago Khichdi. Of the many times that hubby has made it for me, not even once have I ever bothered to even help him out and see how he does it. And I doubt I ever will! He loves the fact that he can make a mean bowl of Sabudana Khichdi the way I like it, and I am all happy to be the pampered 'lil wife! Sabudana Khichdi Ingredients: 1 cup Sabudana/Sago, soaked overnight 1 small potato, boiled and cut into tiny cubes 1-2 green chillies, finely chopped 1 tbsp chopped peanuts 1 tsp cumin seeds 1/4 tsp red chili powder salt, to taste 2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, chopped for garnish 1 tbsp lemon juice 1 tbsp cooking oil Method:

    In a non-stick pan, heat oil and add cumin seeds and green chillies. Once they begin to sizzle, add in potato cubes amd fry till they turn slightly brown.

    Add salt and chili powder and fry well till spices blend in.

    Add pre-soaked sabudana, alongwith chopped peanuts and fry for 3-4 minutes till everything is mixed well.

    Sprinkle with lemon juice and chopped coriander leaves.

    Enjoy warm with a cup of chai!!


    9 Comments:

    Blogger REFLEX said...

    mouth watering. This is the simplest dish I can make I guess. Let me try this :).

    1/27/2006 02:14:00 AM  
    Anonymous Diane said...

    I love this too! I add more peanuts to mine, but it's essentially the same.

    1/27/2006 09:54:00 AM  
    Blogger Meena said...

    Reflex: Hi Reflex! Do try it out and let me know how it goes. Thnaks for stopping by.

    1/27/2006 10:01:00 AM  
    Blogger Meena said...

    Diane: Hi Diane1 I love the crunchiness you get from extra peanuts too. And an extra dash of lemon makes it even yummier!!

    Thanks for dropping by! :o)

    1/27/2006 10:02:00 AM  
    Blogger shub said...

    i love it too! :) my aunt used to make this for amavasai...cos it doesnt need onions :)) and mom learnt it from her...and I plan to try it one day too! :)
    yummy blog meenakshi:)

    1/29/2006 09:56:00 AM  
    Blogger londonphotos said...

    This Sago... what does it look like? I have eaten sago but it looks like little marbles. Is the stuff your using a paste?

    1/30/2006 02:37:00 AM  
    Blogger Meena said...

    Shub: Thanks for dropping by, Shub. do come again!

    LP: Hi LP! Yes, it's the same white marble-like things. That's exactly what I used.

    1/30/2006 08:15:00 AM  
    Blogger Paz said...

    How nice to have this prepared for you (with love!).

    Paz

    1/30/2006 04:29:00 PM  
    Blogger Meena said...

    Paz: You bet it is Paz!! :o)

    1/30/2006 05:16:00 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home

  • Hummus
  • Mint-Coriander Chutney
  • Spicy Mango Salsa
  • Tamarind Chutney
  • Tomato and Onion Chutney
  • Cucumber Raita
  • Hot and Sour Tomato-Chicken soup
  • Malaysian Spicy Noodle Soup
  • Palak Dal
  • Roasted Cumin Raita
  • Spicy Lemon Chicken Soup
  • Spicy Potato Salad
  • Pizza Rolls
  • Shakkarpare and Namakpare
  • Tangy Paneer Pakodas
  • Vada Pav
  • Sabudana Khichdi
  • Sooji Chilas
  • Strawberry Pancakes
  • Boneless Chicken Curry with Potatoes
  • Chicken and Bean Stir-Fry
  • Dahi-wali Chicken Curry
  • Coconut Fish Curry
  • Crispy Chicken Strips
  • Easy Chicken Chili
  • Kadhai Chicken
  • Keema Matar
  • Malay-style Hot and Sour Fish Curry (Asam Pedas)
  • Methi Keema
  • Mutton Masala
  • Pepper Chicken
  • Tandoori Chicken
  • Egg Curry
  • Indian Scrambled Eggs
  • Onion and Egg Patties
  • Alu Bhaji
  • Alu Tamatarwale (Potatoes with Tomato)
  • Bagare Baingan (Stuffed Eggplants)
  • Cabbage with Peas
  • Chilly Paneer
  • Chole (Chickpea Curry)
  • Dal Fry
  • Gobi (Cauliflower) Manchurian
  • Hariyali Baingan (Eggplant)
  • Karela Masala (Tangy Bitter-gourd)
  • Masoor ki Dal
  • Matar Paneer (Cottage Cheese with Peas)
  • Paneer Matar Makhani
  • Paneer Shimla Mirch (Cottage Cheese with Green Peppers)
  • Spicy Tofu
  • Tadka Dal
  • Tinda Fry (Fried Round Gourd)
  • Malaysian Coconut Rice (Nasi Lemak)
  • Malaysian Stir-fried Noodles (Mee Goreng)
  • Matar Pulao (Peas Pilaf)
  • Meatball Biryani
  • Penne Arabiatta
  • Spicy Curry Fried Rice
  • Tomato Rice
  • Vegetable Fried Rice
  • Alu Parathas
  • Easy Foccacia Bread
  • Paneer Parathas
  • Plain Parathas
  • Chocolate Nut Tartlets
  • Chocolate-Strawberry Grilled Croissants
  • Sooji Halwa
  • Hot Mochalate
  • Masala Chai
  • Peppermint Hot Chocolate